MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

DIY brake ducts

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  willtotheumm 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently fabbed up some brake ducts for my '91 Turbo after experiencing brake fade at the track. I tried to make them look like they belong on the car, while making them as functional as possible. As you can see from the pics below- they feed from the stock fog light location, through the fender, and into a modified backing plate. This gets the cool air directly into the center of the rotor.

Since I put them in, I've had no fade problems at all!

I used 3" high temp silicone ducting from Racer Parts Wholesale: Thermoid High-Temp Ducting - 600 Degree Aircraft Silicone Ducting
An 11' section was enough to get it done, with a little left over.

My car had factory fogs- they needed to come out permanently for this to work.

Start by removing the underbody panels that attach to the front lip. Then remove the plastic panel that was behind the fog lamp.

Plastic shroud panel behind the fog light.

Remove it from behind the bumper. There are two plastic "rivets" holding it in place. One's visible from the front, the other's hidden underneath.

I picked up some 3" to 4" duct adapters at Lowe's.

Cut down the 4" side, so that it's almost flush.

Put the adapter in the upper outside corner, and use a sharpie to outline the inlet.

Continued...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

Cut out the hole for the inlet. I used a spiral cutting bit in my dremel- it works great on plastic, but makes a huge mess...

I used Gorilla tape to block off the area that wouldn't be filled by the inlet.

Fit the inlet in place.

Put the plastic plate back in place.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
The backing plate- rotor inlet.

Remove your rotor- take a pair of tin snips and cut down the backing plate. I went ahead and trimmed as much as I could, while leaving some barriers in place near the suspension attachments.
Be sure to leave the "scoop" mostly intact!
I cut the scoop into 3 strips, so I'd have something to attach to.

Make a 3" tube out of aluminum flashing. Use the duct to make sure it's the right size.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
You'll need to figure out the right angle for the inlet, and trim it to fit.

Drill the 3 "fingers" that you made from the backing plate scoop, and pop-rivet the inlet to them.

You'll want to make this into an oval near the center of the rotor, so that more air hits the eye.

Cut an oval in the fender liner. I used the slanted area next to the tie-down eye. Don't make it too big at first- it's easy to enlarge it if it's too small.

Slide the duct through the hole, and up towards the inlet you made.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Just bought most of the materials to do this at Lowes racing and installed
the LF scoop. With some creative use of a dremmel, I did it without removing
the bumper or the little black blockoff piece. I have the 1991 NA bumper
without factory fogs, so part of it blocks the scoop. I think it ought to work
OK though. I'll have to wait for the actual ducting to arrive to complete the
install.

#20 · (Edited)
dodouble said:
idealy tho, your suposed to direct the air in the vents when u have a vented rotor it will be way more efficiant at cooling then facing flat the disc

???

The ducts ARE facing the vents and air is directed towards the middle of the inner section of the rotor for best cooling. Of course some air will hit the inner swept area of the rotor too. Can't avoid that. Remember that air is ejected from the edge of the rotor due to centrifugal force and is sucked in at the middle

If you notice in this pic:

The duct is basically as close as you can get to the wheel hub. So its as close as you can get to the inner rotor vents. How would you do it differently without fabbing a custom flange?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.